Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Race Report: June 17-18, Thunderhill

After last month's disappointing results, I took it upon myself to get some more track time and basically learn how to ride again. So off to Thunderhill I went. Turns out it was a good move. I pitted next to Ernie Montague, who at 50+ is far faster than I'll ever be. His advice regarding passing other riders: "In front of him is redemption. Behind him, damnation." Heavy stuff.

Whether it was Ernie's wisdom or some other catalyst during the 3 practice days I had, a lightbulb came on over my helmet and I started riding more like a racer and less like a scared street rider. Both effort and lap times came down dramatically.

Saturday afternoon rolled around and it was time to grid up for the Clubman race. Confidence at starts has been a problem in my short race career. This time when the green flag waved, a hole appeared in front of me not unlike the Red Sea parting. I shot through like I had a rocket pack. The euphoria of finally getting a good launch and keeping the throttle pinned lasted through turn 1, until people started passing me back in bunches on the way into turn 2. But I gathered my wits about me and hung in the group for the first lap. Things started sorting themselves out and I was at the back of a little cluster of 4-5 bikes. Another lap and I started making passes. I got one on the brakes into turn 10, another one on the gas down the front straight. But my crowning achievement was riding around the outside of my victim in turn 2 (long left-hander), then slipping up the inside on the entry to turn 3 (right-hander), earning admiring remarks from the track announcer, I'm told. At that point there was a gap to the next little cluster of bikes, and I sadly ran out of laps before catching them, but I had a blast. Unofficially I finished 18th, and my lap times showed 2:22s until I decided to start passing people, then I picked up the pace and finished the race with a string of 2:15s, and felt in easy control the whole time. Redemption.

My first race Sunday was with the much faster riders in the 650 Twins class. I got a reasonably good start but had to roll off and dodge debris from a crash in turn 1. I found myself behind 2 riders I had diced with in Saturday's race, so off we went. It took me a lap or two to get around the first one, but I did it on the brakes with a very tight line into turn 10. The next rider ahead of me was #357, a woman from Southern CA. Turns out we were pretty evenly matched. I caught up but couldn't get by and we finished nose to tail after a couple laps. 29th place for me and some more 2:15 laps. More fun and smiles all around.

The second race (Formula 4) was the very last one of a very hot (99ish) day, and nobody was at their best. After the start things sorted themselves out and I was chasing #357 again. This time I was able to attempt some passes, showing her a wheel in turn 9, turn 10 and turn 14 on successive laps. But each time she was a little braver on the brakes and held me off. The last lap she ran a little wide entering turn 9 and gave me a golden opportunity, but I got bogged down in the wrong gear and couldn't make the pass. I settled for 33rd place right behind her at the line. We managed a couple of 2:18s but I was very glad to see the checkers and be able to cool down.

All in all, it was a very successful weekend and a welcome contrast to the way things went last time at Sears Point. I had a lot more confidence and felt like I could put the bike anywhere on the track and try some different lines.

Next round is back at Thunderhill in July. Average temperature there in July is 110. The jury's still out on if we'll participate. Then back to Sears for August and September.

Huge thanks this time to Dave C, who once again hauled my stuff to the track and had a successful weekend and a good Clubman race finish. And of course to Heritage Service Centre, without whose support we'd go shirtless in the pit area. Not anyone's idea of a good time.

Cheers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home